Obtaining Crash Reports

As of February 1st, 2015, uncertified copies of crash reports are no longer available through the Pittsboro Police Department. Certified crash reports are available from the NCDMV only.

How to Obtain a Copy of a Crash Report

Crash reports investigated by all of North Carolina's law enforcement agencies are forwarded to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV).

Crash reports can be requested by completing the Crash Report Request Form (TR-67A) and mailing it to the NCDMV or submitting the form in-person at the License Plate Agency office at 4121 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27610. Instructions can also be found on Driver's exchange forms.

Please note - A North Carolina motor vehicle record (MVR) is a driving record, vehicle record, or crash report.  How MVR information may be released is regulated by the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (or DPPA), 18 USC 2721-2725, and North Carolina G.S. 20-43.1. 

Individuals requesting their personal motor vehicle records in person must complete the appropriate forms and present a valid ID. An individual requesting a personal motor vehicle record on another’s behalf must also provide a written, signed, and notarized statement from the individual to whom the personal records belong, giving the requestor their permission to receive the records. 

Ordering by Mail

To order a crash report by mail, fill out the Crash Report Request (TR-67A) form and mail it along with payment to the address listed on the form. 

Please allow ten (10) business days from the time of receipt for the request to be processed.

To avoid delay or return of your request, ensure that forms are completely and correctly filled out and that your check or money order, made payable to NCDMV is signed.

Ordering in Person

To request a crash report in person, submit the Crash Report Request (TR-67A) form and payment to:

Raleigh Central Services/License Plate Agency

4121 New Bern Ave. (Go to the door that reads Vehicle Registration, NOT Driver License)

Raleigh, NC 27616

Customers or businesses requesting five records or fewer in person can receive them immediately, but larger requests must be mailed to the DMV. 

Please note – Insurance companies have access to NCDMV records for getting copies of reports.